Why they hate us...

Michael Watson mikejw@cruzio.com
Sun, 03 Mar 2002 18:09:32 -0800

I am going to go on a little rant here because your post rubbed me the wrong
way.

Your argument is elitist. Your belief that the smart left all those
countries is incorrect. Intelligence is not a priveledge of certain classes
and smart kids are being born all the time in the rest of the world.
Obviously. Part of it is a question of opportunity. I was born in a working
poor family. My family knew I was smart but did not have the knowledge of
what to do with me so I self educated myself. I have a long way to go and I
am still intimidated by all the rich kids (relatively) whose parents could
afford to send them to the best schools so they could now lord it over the
rest of us with their fancy words and ability to buy their way through life.
My rage is the rage of all working class people against their 'betters'. I
am as upset as anyone about 9/11, but as Greg Kinnear said on the late show
prior to 9/11, that if the terrorists succeeded in blowing up the world
trade centers where all the bond traders work, about 20,000 people would die
but only about 20 souls would be lost (I am paraphrasing). Shocking yes, but
to understand 9/11 you need to understand this rage. If I am a goat farmer
from long generations of goat farmers and want my son to be a goat farmer
but he doesn't want to because he has been influenced by western culture,
then this is going to bring about a certain amount of rage. Then if MTV
isn't enough, cultural imperialism brings a religious evangalist to my
village and converts my son to mormonism, that is going to bring a further
amount of rage. It has been said that the United States is the most
religious nation on earth but it is also the largest producer of pornograhic
and violent images. Along with religious evangelism. The chinese has banned
certain evangelists from the West for good reason. But western cultural
ideas are hard if not impossible to stop hence the lashing out. I agree with
you about the barbarians at the gate but you better watch out for the
barbarians from the wrong side of the track in your town.

Note from the underground,
Michael