FoRK digest, Vol 1 #825 - 14 msgs

Bill Kearney wkearney99@hotmail.com
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 16:27:55 -0500

> I am having trouble getting through to people on the net and in real life
> with this question. Maybe it because it is a stupid question or maybe I have
> taken a leap of imagination that others haven't made yet. What would you do
> with 50 billion dollars? Think of the possibilities. What I want Bill Gates
> to do is have a decent mid-life crisis like the rest of us and do something
> insanely great, as Steve Jobs would say. I was being only slightly facetious
> in my comment about the space shuttle. Why not fund the next generation
> Hubble space telescope so we can get more questions about the universe
> answered in his lifetime? I know I am tilting at windmills here but I feel I
> have to say something. Danny Hillis is doing something imaginative with his
> money by building the Clock of the Long Now.

Uh, do at least the tiniest bit of research now and then.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bill+and+melinda+gates+foundation
http://www.gatesfoundation.org/

Educating and working on the healthcare of 'here and now' people.  That's likely
to do a lot to help develop the people that will find the next generation of
great things.  A library and a telescope aren't worth much without healthy,
informed people to make use of them.

Seems that so of the so-called "idols" aren't being anywhere near as
philanthropic.