Crown blasphemy prosecution

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 06 Mar 2002 09:32:01 -0800

Bill Humphries wrote:

> > But then, the Crown's prosecuting a woman who read a poem about Gay love
> > under the blasphemy laws... while our Constitution prevents such a
> > construction.
>
> Paul Prescod asked for the bits for this one:
>
> http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,6109,661577,00.html

I don't think it is appropriate to get excited about this until we see
whether the checks and balances start to fail. For instance, she hasn't
even been charged yet.

"Stevens's officers disclosed this weekend that they may charge Bakewell
with blasphemous libel after she recited on TV part of an erotic poem
about a Roman centurion's affection for Jesus."

 Paul Prescod