Drug War [was RE: I-P: Capitalism vrs. commies]

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
06 Mar 2002 17:54:38 -0500

On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 17:51, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

>     L> On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 15:26, John Hall wrote:
>     >> Equating drug use with supporting terrorism isn't such a leap.
>
>     L> Right. Which means the Libertarian Party (for once ;) was 100%
>     L> correct when they ran advertisements showing the current drug
>     L> czar as the terrorist fundraiser.  Luis
>
> Don't be so quick: Guess who's responsible for the most successful
> inter-partisan peace initiatives in Northern Ireland?  Yes, the markup
> on a cornerd market on E is something that makes sense to both
> paramilitaries, so who cares whose kids show up to rave on it?
>
> It goes to prove what I've always said: Any so-called "religious" war
> most often has financial advantages at its core, and if those interests
> can be met with peace, peace ensues.

As nice and touchy-feely as that article was, the idea that a couple
hundred or thousand blissed out teenagers somehow balances out the death
caused by that money is... well, I can't say it is 'wrong' but it struck
me as fairly similar to the criticisms of the US government when it has
financed, say, the contras. 'Oh, we didn't know the money was being used
to /kill/ people' is a copout, and a horrible one at that. If it was
really a 'successful inter-partisan peace initiative' the kids would
stop giving money to killers. But the article didn't really suggest that
was happening.
Luis