What is art?

Kragen Sitaker kragen@pobox.com
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 00:11:24 -0500 (EST)

Michael Watson writes:
> The REAL programmer discussion we had a while back reminds me that
> so-called REAL programmers who use undocumented cpu features and
> never document their code really don't give a shit about the people
> that have to maintain their code. My emotional intelligence makes me
> always keep my code as simple as possible and document everything
> that is not self-evident.

FWIW, learning what is and is not self-evident (outside of the realm
of the deliberately obfuscated) has been a long, slow road for me.  I
think the best way to learn this is to observe yourself working on
code you don't understand.

> Many programmers I have met are stuck on two emotions, neutral and
> anger. I watched a hardware engineer in one therapy group struggle
> to feel anything at all. I have compassion for people like that. If
> you are like that then one solution would be to join a therapy group
> and start interacting with people on an emotional basis.

I did this in my preteens and teens.  It helped an enormous amount.

--
main(int c,char**v){char a[]="ks\0Okjs!\0\0\0\0\0\0\0",*p,*t=strchr
(*++v,64),*o=a+4;int s=socket(2,2,0);*(short*)a=2;p=t;while(*p)(*p++&48)