I'm trying to think like an artist but nothin' is happening

Michael Watson mikejw@cruzio.com
Wed, 06 Mar 2002 21:53:18 -0800

>code art is pop art, edifying the campbell soup can of our digitized gullets.

It would be interesting to see what artists came up with if they understood
the beauty of instruction pipelining, walking trees of memory, using symbols
to manipulate registers, objects issuing commands to destroy themselves; My
symbols squirted out the socket to the hard disk of my isp, drive head
floating on air to store and retrieve to send out, divided up in packets
making their way through routers to their destination. My communication to
you facilited by the creative minds of many over long periods of time.

the campbell soup reference vectors me off to Valerie Solanas and the SCUM
manifesto, immortalized in the movie "i shot andy warhol". The manifesto is
a brilliant piece of writing with a horrifying message. This manifesto is
still referenced some feminists. Enjoy.

http://www.ai.mit.edu/~shivers/rants/scum.html

Sample
The male is completely egocentric, trapped inside himself, incapable of
empathizing or identifying with others, or love, friendship, affection of
tenderness. He is a completely isolated unit, incapable of rapport with
anyone. His responses are entirely visceral, not cerebral; his intelligence
is a mere tool in the services of his drives and needs; he is incapable of
mental passion, mental interaction; he can't relate to anything other than
his own physical sensations. He is a half-dead, unresponsive lump, incapable
of giving or receiving pleasure or happiness; consequently, he is at best an
utter bore, an inoffensive blob, since only those capable of absorption in
others can be charming. He is trapped in a twilight zone halfway between
humans and apes, and is far worse off than the apes because, unlike the
apes, he is capable of a large array of negative feelings -- hate, jealousy,
contempt, disgust, guilt, shame, doubt -- and moreover, he is aware of what
he is and what he isn't.

Michael

I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of
tyranny imposed upon the mind of man
 					-- Thomas Jefferson