So what's in your CD player right now?

Bill Humphries bill@whump.com
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:11:44 -0800

On Friday, March 8, 2002, at 10:02 AM, carey wrote:

> I'm curious what y'all are listening to, what gets your rocks off
> musically.

The stuff I keep coming back to on my iPod includes:

The Coal Porters, "The Land of Hope and Crosby", the leader of this outfit
is a Byrds/Tillman scholar, and that influences the music. I'm in love
with "Imperial Beach". It displaced Anya and Xander's duet from the Buffy
Musical as the song wedged in my head.

Beastie Boys, "The In Sound From Way Out", instrumentals, you've heard
this stuff if you have "Check Your Head".

Chris and Tad, "Hand Me That Door", Presidents' lead singer's home studio
project.

Chemical Bros, "Let Forever Be", oh man... cool video.

Reptile Palace Orchestra, "Hwy X", Balkan funk from Madison, Wisconsin.

Anthony Brown's Asian American Jazz Orchestra, "Monk's Moods", Y'evah hear
"Crepuscule with Nellie" played on a koto? It's a perfect instrument to
play Monk.

Glover Gil and the Tosca Tango Orchestra, Soundtrack from "Waking Life".

Beach Boys, "Pet Sounds"

The Golden Palominos, "Pure", Lori Carson's voice is sexual desire
incarnate. Do they sell that in a bottle?

And I'd be remiss if I didn't continue to hype Amy Rigby's stuff, and the
Broun Fellinis, Liquid Soul, and XTC's "Black Sea".

You can get a surprising number of these albums on eMusic.

-- whump