So what's in your CD player right now?

Stephen D. Williams sdw@lig.net
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:51:01 -0500

Shouldn't we share the music we listen to so that we're all exposed to
more variety?  (I.e. advertisement to a wider audience?)

I'd be interested in trying about 75% of the selections below.

Now where have I heard this idea before?

Broadcast timeshifting MP3 idea:
I keep thinking that I need to rig a high quality recording system for
broadcast radio.  I would build an easy software package that allows me
to quickly identify the start/stop of music or programs and chop them
into files, name them, and add them to a collection.  Cons: imperfect
lead-in/out, digital-analog-broadcast-analog-digital conversion, Pros:
perfectly legal time-shifting, reasonable quality.  Add even a single
person at a time in a market generating artist/title/time play points
for each monitored station and you have MP3 labelling.  For that matter,
the start/stop times could be shared legally which would allow automatic
parsing on everyone's copy of the music.

Additionally, I believe it is legal to share timeshifted material with
others in the same 'market'.  In other words, if they could have heard
it the same way you did, you can share with them.

sdw