Fairuse, Copyrights, TimeShifting and "I want my otr"

Tom tomwhore@wsmf.org
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:21:46 -0500 (EST)

If you think timeshifting a few hours or days is causing some tempests,
what do you think shifting across decades provokes?

OVer in the Old Time Radio we have been battling over the whole issue for
some time.

Radio shows broadcast over 50-70 years ago are still being
battled over not just in thier distribution but even in thier listening.
There is one company, Radio Spirits, that is doign what it can to make
sure the only place you can get to listen to any of these shows is through
them for a fee.

Meanwhile there are folks passing around full blown collections of certian
shows in mp3 format on a handfull of cds. For instance, The Great
Gildersleve. There is an amzing 4 CD set of lovingly hand encoded mp3s off
of low generation reel-to-reel tapes of this series that is making the
rounds to the masses.

>From time to time though the OTR mp3 community gets rocked with htreats of
lawsuits and copyright issues. It never freakin ends.

Some of the issues that come up surrounding the OTR and fair use are
trademark use and performance rights.

more when I get teh time to expound

-tom