So what's in your CD player right now?

Stephen D. Williams sdw@lig.net
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:43:28 -0500 (EST)

I think you miss the depth of the angle available here:

If I can record broadcast audio direct to digital for my own use and the
quality is good enough for my use, and

If I can get software and a feed of meta-data for that broadcast that result
in ready to use/deploy MP3s, then

Anyone with a PC and minimal peripheral hardware can obtain a complete set
of aired music (or other programs) completely legally.  This requires zero
bandwidth and little or no Internet interaction at all.  (Codes could be
loaded later to 'parse' a timestamped archived feed.)

Additionally, you have interesting possibilities like a colocation-ISP-like
PC rental service where you can rent a PC in, say, San Francisco for a day
to get the current playlist on your favorite station.  You then retrieve
your timeshifted music from your rented PC.  The ISP is too much of a
service?  Then you timeshare an apartment/house/condo for 1 day.

The next level would be to share the result, but you can get pretty far
before going there.

My point really is that with little additional work, existing fair use
avenues allow creation of a fairly usable equivalent to ripping a cd
collection.
Technically, you could get an ASCAP license, broadcast to N of your best
buddies (via infra-red at a conference, etc.), and legally distribute your
CD collection.

In fact, I'm curious as to what language in broadcast licensing agreements
prevents them from being used to transmit digital copies of said music.
Rather than relying on advertising and payolla, why wouldn't I, as a
broadcast licensee, just charge my listeners for my broadcasts of my CD
collection with annotation?

We are stuck with a very strange mix of underpriced broadcast and overpriced
fidelity with the actual creators being routinely screwed.

Do they still tax radio and/or TV receivers in Europe?

sdw

--
sdw@lig.net http://sdw.st
Stephen D. Williams