1.5TB SAN for $35K -- this is how we do it...

Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:00:39 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Adam L. Beberg wrote:

> Actualy, FC and few-GB/spindle is exactly how you get really nice
> performance. The 73GB drives would suck for a database, but 9's or 18's
> scream.

Hmm, I think I'd rather sink the money into a PVFS/EIDE/Beowulf approach.
Multiple IDE adapters/box, RAID at box level (soft or hard, depending on
how much pain you can stand), PVFS at cluster level.

> What matters is high RPM drives, good cards with alot of cache, and a
> blazing 64bit memory bus. i.e. Intel sucks and will get you laughed at.

I wouldn't underestimate shelved commodity iron, lots of it. And if it has
to be x86, I'd rather go with AMD.

If your application is cluster-aware, it's of course the preferrable
approach by far.