Visit to Google Today: Chuch of Scientology Uses DMCA to Remove Sites from Google

Jon O. jono@networkcommand.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:49:30 -0800

Gordon:

While I agree with your logic to a point, Google satisfied the DMCA
request by removing the links. The counter notification is used
to prevent this type of action in the first place. Therefore,
Google has agreed to Censor themselves and possibly use a counter
notification after the fact.

Touretzky's counter notification is to be used *prior* to any
material being taken down from the internet, while still allowing
safe harbor. bnetd used this tactic of getting a DMCA complaint,
filing a counter letter and never getting a response, thus allowing
the data to remain on the net.

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/title17/92chap5.html#512

(3) Contents of Counter Notification.-To be effective under this subsection, a counter notification must be a written communication provided to the service provider's designated agent that includes substantially the following:

(A) A physical or electronic signature of the subscriber.

(B) Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled.

(C) A statement under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled.

(D) The subscriber's name, address, and telephone number, and a statement that the subscriber consents to the jurisdiction of Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located, or if the subscriber's address is outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which the service provider may be found, and that the subscriber will accept service of process from the person who provided notification under subsection (c)(1)(C) or an agent of such person.

Also, as regards system caching:

(b) System Caching.-

(1) Limitation on Liability.-A service provider shall not be liable for monetary relief, or, except as provided in subsection (j), for injunctive or other equitable relief, for infringement of copyright by reason of the intermediate and temporary storage of material on a system or network controlled or operated by or for the service provider in a case in which-

(A) the material is made available online by a person other than the service provider;

(B) the material is transmitted from the person described in subparagraph (A) through the system or network to a person other than the person described in subparagraph (A) at the direction of that other person; and

(C) the storage is carried out through an automatic technical process for the purpose of making the material available to users of the system or network who, after the material is transmitted as described in subparagraph (B), request access to the material from the person described in subparagraph (A), if the conditions set forth in paragraph (2) are met.