Microsoft may not own windows?

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
21 Mar 2002 17:27:38 -0500

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 14:28, Ben Hammersley wrote:
> Isn't this all down to context, even if the word is a generic term?
>
> It's the additional meaning given by the namespace, as it were, that
> should be  protected. There's no worries if I want to call myself Ben's
> Windows and start a glazier firm - then "Windows" is in a namespace
> where it is generic. If I wanted to start an OS called Windows, the OS
> namespace makes Windows a non-generic term and I quite rightly loose my
> shirt.

The point of my (and Gordon's post) is that it had meaning in the OS
namespace /before/ MS used it. If they'd created that namespace meaning,
fine, but they didn't. It's like IBM trying to copyright 'Computer' in
the late 70s, or AT&T trying to copyright 'Telephone', just because they
were overwhelmingly associated with the term and had no competition,
even though they didn't create or own the term in any meaningful way.
Luis