RFCW: Should I switch to Linux, or does Gates have me by the short & curlies?

Joseph S. Barrera III joe@barrera.org
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 20:55:10 -0800

> If MS's licensing plans are as evil as they seem, this might not be an
> affordable option in the near future, though.
>
> Karl Anderson      kra@monkey.org

I may never upgrade to anything past Windows 2000. A lot of other people may
feel the same way. In which case, there may remain support for Windows 2000
for a long time, making it unnecessary to upgrade past 2000.

When I ordered my latest laptop (Dell Inspiron 4100) I got a Windows XP CD,
which I ignored and installed Windows 2000 instead. Later, I installed
Windows XP as a second boot, but gave up on it after it blue-screened thrice
in one day! That's more blue screens than I've seen on the rest of my
computers for at least a couple of years. Now, of course, I can't install
that Windows XP on something else that it might work better on, because I've
used up my install chance. Hence, a CD of no use that I still ended up
paying for.

Fuck Windows XP.

- Joe