Google censorship of xenu.com domain [#201159]

Gordon Mohr gojomo@usa.net
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 02:32:48 -0800

The essence of the "correction" seems to be:

 - The http://www.xenu.net root page, which obviously
   did not contain any copyrighted work, was placed
   back in the index. As of now, it appears to be the
   4th hit for a query on "Scientology".

 - Someone has taken Sponsored Link ads out for the
   term "Scientology" which link to xenu.net. I would
   suggest that this shows the benefits of showing
   search hits based on a diversity of rankings (PageRank,
   demonstrated user interest, payment-for-prominence),
   as no one organization/gaming-strategy is likely to
   be able to manipulate all effectively and enduringly.
   ("You can fool all of the rankings some of the time,
   and some of the rankings all of the time, but you
   can't fool all of the rankings, all of the time.")

It appears that at least the first step, and perhaps
the second, was taken even before the misguided "march on
Google" began.

The other URLs that were listed in the CoS takedown
request are still not in Google. Google probably doesn't
want to set the precedent of individually reviewing
every protested URL -- that's not required of them under
the law, and could wind up increasing their liability,
rather than giving them "safe harbor", if they guess
wrong.

They chiefly need to follow the duly-constructed requests
of the notifier and then the counter-notifier.

IN ORDER TO GET THE OTHER 41 URL STEMS, REPRESENTING
POSSIBLY MANY MORE PAGES, RESTORED, XENU.NET SHOULD
FILE A DMCA COUNTER-NOTIFICATION.

This will put the ball back in CoS's court, and barring
actual court motions, will give Google the cover it
needs to restore all the URLs without having to do a
risky case-by-case evaluation.

- Gordon