C&C / GG&S

Ian Welsh iangwelsh@hotmail.com
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 02:05:25

<P>Thank you for the reference.&nbsp; I confess I've yet to read GG&amp;S, its' been on my to-read list for far too long.&nbsp; I do think that current directions in warfare and the increasing concentration of wealth are bad signs for the future of democracy.&nbsp; Not to say things are irreversible, or even that the US military is necessarily correct in their doctrine but an army that powerful and that divorced from civilian culture (even if it is civilian culture that is moving away) disturbs me, especially if the high training/high capital infantry is as superior as they think it is.&nbsp; (I recognize that it seems obvious that it is given American military dominance but there are questions around it.)<BR>----------------------------------------------------<BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "John Hall" <JOHNHALL@EVERGO.NET>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: <JOHNHALL@EVERGO.NET>
<DIV></DIV>To: <FORK@XENT.COM>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: RE: C&amp;C / GG&amp;S
<DIV></DIV>Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:48:49 -0800
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I’ll look up a number of these books shortly. I also suggest “The Lever of
<DIV></DIV>Riches” about the western development of technology.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>My comment that said infantry was a ‘choice’ was perhaps not the best term.
<DIV></DIV>Yes, it was the socioeconomic and technological circumstances. But it was
<DIV></DIV>the cultural direction that gave birth to them. I admit that ‘choice’ is a
<DIV></DIV>bad word to describe the culture a people adopt, but I’m not sure what other
<DIV></DIV>word to use to convey that idea. ‘Social choice?’
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>The Knight is more similar to the crew of an M-1, but I take your meaning.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Our military is, in fact, becoming more hereditary. I think it is more
<DIV></DIV>accurate to say that the civilian culture has moved away from the military
<DIV></DIV>one.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I also think I’d argue for reversing your last statement. To say that the
<DIV></DIV>economic and military underpinnings that generally accompany democracy are
<DIV></DIV>waning seems to indicate that the economic and military components are
<DIV></DIV>waning. I think they are increasing (economic) and exploding (military)
<DIV></DIV>while it is the democracy that may be waning.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>