Peer-to-Peer File Sharing and Copyright (fwd)

Ian Welsh iangwelsh@hotmail.com
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 02:16:47

<P>Go to an internet cafe that accepts cash and upload from there.&nbsp; Walk away and never go to that cafe again.&nbsp; Sad that it's come to that though.</P>
<P>----------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: Eugene Leitl <EUGENE.LEITL@LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE>
<DIV></DIV>To: transhumantech@yahoogroups.com
<DIV></DIV>CC: cpunx-news@yahoogroups.com, forkit! <FORK@XENT.COM>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Peer-to-Peer File Sharing and Copyright (fwd)
<DIV></DIV>Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 16:47:41 +0100 (MET)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>-- Eugen* Leitl <A href="http://leitl.org/">leitl</A>
<DIV></DIV>______________________________________________________________
<DIV></DIV>ICBMTO: N48 04'14.8'' E11 36'41.2'' http://www.leitl.org
<DIV></DIV>57F9CFD3: ED90 0433 EB74 E4A9 537F CFF5 86E7 629B 57F9 CFD3
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>---------- Forwarded message ----------
<DIV></DIV>Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 13:50:53 +0000
<DIV></DIV>From: Adam Back <ADAM@CYPHERSPACE.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>To: Cypherpunks <CYPHERPUNKS@MINDER.NET>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Peer-to-Peer File Sharing and Copyright
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>To follow-up on Tim's comments about the safety to be had from
<DIV></DIV>publihsing p2p software anonymously, and the risks of not doing so,
<DIV></DIV>this is an interesting analysis of the topic by Berkeley Centre for
<DIV></DIV>Law &amp; Technology lawyer Fred von Lohmann, hosted by EFF.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>IAAL: Peer-to-Peer File Sharing and Copyright Law after Napster
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/Napster/20010309_p2p_exec_sum.html
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>The discussion of contributory and vicarious copyright arguments is an
<DIV></DIV>eye-opener (the full paper goes into more detail). My conclusion
<DIV></DIV>after reading this (well before also actually, but it re-enforced the
<DIV></DIV>view) is that the safest and simplest thing to do is to just publish
<DIV></DIV>such software anonymously.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Ian Clarke of freenet has a lot to say about copyright vs freedom of
<DIV></DIV>speech.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>http://freenetproject.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Main/Philosophy
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>He's right there is a conflict between anonymous censor-resistant
<DIV></DIV>publication systems and as I've said a number of times over the years,
<DIV></DIV>I figure sooner or later DMCA, WIPO et al are going to run into
<DIV></DIV>remailers, and p2p systems designed for publisher anonymity; and then
<DIV></DIV>we're likely to see a head on battle ala USG against strong crypto,
<DIV></DIV>but with the battle between freedom-of-expression and anonymous
<DIV></DIV>publication systems and copyright. Ultimately there isn't room for
<DIV></DIV>both strong anonymity and strong copyright enforcement, it's another
<DIV></DIV>binary choice. Already we're seeing battles between copyright
<DIV></DIV>enforcers where the strong-copyright lobby has the staggering hubris
<DIV></DIV>to attempt to outlaw general purpose computers without copyright
<DIV></DIV>enforcement hardware builtin.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>If I recall there was a brief skirmish between a remailer operator and
<DIV></DIV>SPA (software publishers association -- the bit police for software
<DIV></DIV>bits) when someone anonymously constructed some "designer abuse" and
<DIV></DIV>then themselves reported it to the SPA in an attempt to shut-down the
<DIV></DIV>remailer.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Adam
<DIV></DIV>