Google censorship (period)

Kragen Sitaker kragen@pobox.com
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 00:24:51 -0500 (EST)

Eugene Leitl writes:
> The only way to make a search engine uncensorable is to make it P2P...
> Just migrate htdig or similiar into Apache, and put the full text indices
> in a standard location. Plus put a spider to sweep local network
> neighbourhood and to pick up these. Sounds like a person-afternoon for a
> professional, probably several weeks for more pedestrian types.

This design doesn't work.  To search for any unusual term, you must
send a search to every local network neighborhood on the planet; and
to search for any common term, you must collate results from every
local network neighborhood on the planet and rank them somehow.

See http://pobox.com/~kragen/bigdb.html for more thoughts on this
issue, which is something I've been concerned about and trying to find
solutions to since before Google started operation.

Techno addiction. More expensive than crack, keeps you up longer than
coke, makes you fatter than pot, but hey... it's legal.
	-- Tim Byars <tbyars@earthlink.net>