Peer-to-Peer File Sharing and Copyright (fwd)

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 01:02:30 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Eugene Leitl wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Adam L. Beberg wrote:
>
> > Remember the first rule of P2P: it's only good for things you dont want
> > anyone to know you have, it's innanely inefficient and pain-in-the-arse for
> > anything else.
>
> This is only true if you want traffic remixing, low connectivity and node
> prestige building. If you drop these requirements, you can optimize for
> high performance, allowing you to saturate your pipe (whether cable modem,
> or Ethernet) if you pull high-demand content.
>
> Distribution is really the way to go.

If the physical layer wasn't a hierarchy, sure. But it is.

> > Never fear, the war will be over soon, the side that makes the content will
> > win shortly. But you may have to think about that ;)
>
> I do not see how you can effectively prevent the advent of wireless mesh
> routed networks in urban areas at least. Also, though we're getting
> traffic blocking and IP violation reporting at the ISP level, we haven't
> had true P2P deployed widely yet.

See, I knew you wouldn't think about what I typed.

Besides, a 30 min trip to Radio Shack and I can block ALL wireless mesh
traffic in a n-mile radius ;) Or do you really think that will work?
Again, the side that makes the content will win.

But you may be right, maybe the pirates _and_ megacorps will win (or are you
one of those that think they arent on the same side?), and the people
that make the content will all go broke and get nice jobs working for the
megacorps before they figure it out. Then everything can be free and we can
get what we pay for, woohoo!... no wait, that's bad.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com