Peer-to-Peer File Sharing and Copyright (fwd)

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 03:21:47 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Eugene Leitl wrote:

> Frankly, I don't give a flying fuck about pirates. What I'm interested in
> is anonymous uncensorable publishing, which exists as a beta already. Such
> infrastructure can be low-bandwidth and extremely sparse, making it
> unsuitable for pirating content, yet allowing those 1% of the population
> who care about it to communicate freely.

OK, the method you use to do THAT _is_ P2P. But I really dont care about
that, because it's actually nowhere near even 1% that care. The population
of the EFF-aware is probably about the same as that of al Qaeda, both need
oddly similar technology.

> > get what we pay for, woohoo!... no wait, that's bad.
>
> I'm still not getting your point. Spell it out, man.

Pirates and megacorps do exactly the same thing from a creation point of
view, they make sure the people that make stuff never make any money. They
are both the enemy. Once the creators get the toys they need, both can be
defeated. The questions is will they get the toys first, or collectively
figure out it's not worth the trouble, leaving us with nothing but Britney
Spears and reality TV. Right now, the advatage is clearly in the hands of
the pirates and megacorps.

But I haven't given up hope yet :)

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/