external HD recommendations

Lucas Gonze lucas@worldos.com
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:43:51 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

My current plan for computing nirvana is to accept that I'll always have a
bazillion different boxen to deal with and to carry everything I care
about on an external hard drive.  The drive needs to be easily accessible
from a wild assortment of machines, operating systems and distributions.
The machines will be in varying states of maintenance, so the drive can't
depend on kernel patches to work.  It has to be big enough to carry
everything in my computing universe, including an untarred version of the
entire redhat install set, JVMs, database servers, and MP3 rips of my
entire CD collection.  I don't care much about gaming, just development
and music.

An 80 gig Backpack external parallel port IDE drive seems like the best
approximation.  _But_ it has its own protocol, so requires driver
installation (a -), and the driver has problems with some BIOS revisions
(a --), and Linux kernel versions less than 2.4 require a patch.

OSen in my current life are RH 6.2, RH 7.1, Yellow Dog Linux/PPC/kernel
2.2.19, WinNT, Win98, Win95, and Win2K.  OS X compatibility would let me
swap files with a friend who has a ton of games, and MacOS 9.x support
with a friend who has a bunch of superlong Fela Kuti jams.

Recommendations?  Anyone have experiences with the Backpack to share?

Thanks in advance.

- Lucas