even my dumb nontechnical anime group gets it -- why don't we?

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym@canada.com
27 Mar 2002 11:03:38 -0500

    J> Spamassassin is not an answer. Too many false positives.

1 - change the default threshold to 6; 5 is too low.

2 - /all/ currently deployed spam filters give false positives
    (thus my previous rant on ISPs using secret spam filters *)

    Murphy's Law (no relation) predicts spectacular failures

3 - Spamassassin is open source: If it doesn't work for you, fix it.

* as an uninteresting follow-up to my "When NetNannies Rule" thread,
  I received email yesterday from Canada's federal Privacy
  Commissioner. She tells me that, because Canada.com /owns/ their
  equipment, they have the right to search and reject any content
  which passes through their systems.  The post office, mobile phone
  networks, the telephone companies and /all/ ISPs presumably have the
  same right to search (and reject or otherwise act upon) any content
  they arbitrarily decide as 'interesting'.

  I'm not complaining, I'm just making observations.  Such things are
  good to know.

  Thus, apparently, any ISP, website, mail relay, webforum or email
  service is perfectly within their rights harvest your email address
  and other personal information to spam lists (although /many/
  specify they do not) This seems in complete disagreement with
  Canada's Privacy Law
  (http://www.teledyn.com/story.php?storyid=2001/1/9/69)

  Strange (and dangerous) as it seems, in Canada, this is the law.

  I suppose this is logical within the mindset that also holds a
  webforum owner liable for the content that passes through (the
  Slashdot/DeCSS case) -- how else could you protect against such
  prosecution unless you can monitor all contents?

  It's got a kind of Krishnamurti feel to it: We are each of us
  solely and completely responsible for the data we relay ;)

  Now here's a curious corrollary: The police need a warrant to search
  your personal effects or to tap your phones, but a commercial entity
  does not, _providing_ you are riding on their property!