even my dumb nontechnical anime group gets it -- why don't we?

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym@canada.com
27 Mar 2002 11:13:18 -0500

    R> Ah, you mean you're a Yank, a resident (or possibly a citizen)
    R> of the United States.  Last time I looked, Canadians were
    R> Americans by virtue of living on the same bleedin' continent as
    R> the Yanks and the Mexicans.  Personally, I find perpetuation of
    R> the idea that 'American' solely means 'U.S.' narrow-minded and
    R> boorish.

How horribly north-centric.

What about Puruvians?  Ecuadorians? Aren't they living in the Americas
too?  And then there's the Hawaiians -- are they even on the same
tektonic plate?  A strange bunch anyway, what with all their damn
wikiwikis and stuff.

But on a more trivial note: Among the North Americans, Americans have
few problems answering to and calling themselves Yanks, Canadians have
zero problems calling themselves and being called Canucks, but what
do Mexicans call themselves? (and allow others to call them)

(btw, the hawaiian crack betrays not prejudice, but envy ;)