refusal

Kelley kelley@interpactinc.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:35:43 -0500

interesting bits: A declaration from a fraction of the Israeli military who=
=20
refuse to fight "the war of the territories" any more. "We shall not=20
continue to fight beyond the 1967 borders in order to dominate, expel,=20
starve and humiliate an entire people":=
 http://www.seruv.org.il/defaulteng.asp

read the articles some of them have submitted. interesting stuff.

kelley

from the home page:

=95 We, reserve combat officers and soldiers of the Israel Defense Forces,=
=20
who were raised upon
the principles of Zionism, sacrifice and giving to the people of Israel and=
=20
to the State of Israel, who have always served in the front lines, and who=
=20
were the first to carry out any mission, light or heavy, in order to=20
protect the State of Israel and strengthen it.
=95 We, combat officers and soldiers who have served the State of Israel for=
=20
long weeks every year, in spite of the dear cost to our personal lives,=20
have been on reserve duty all over the Occupied Territories, and were=20
issued commands and directives that had nothing to do with the security of=
=20
our country, and that had the sole purpose of perpetuating our control over=
=20
the Palestinian people. We, whose eyes have seen the bloody toll this=20
Occupation exacts from both sides.
=95 We, who sensed how the commands issued to us in the Territories, destroy=
=20
all the values we had absorbed while growing up in this country.
=95 We, who understand now that the price of Occupation is the loss of IDF=
=92s=20
human character and the corruption of the entire Israeli society.
=95 We, who know that the Territories are not Israel, and that all=20
settlements are bound to be evacuated in the end.
=95 We hereby declare that we shall not continue to fight this War of the=20
Settlements.
=95 We shall not continue to fight beyond the 1967 borders in order to=20
dominate, expel, starve and humiliate an entire people.
=95 We hereby declare that we shall continue serving in the Israel Defense=
=20
Forces in any mission that serves Israel=92s defense.
=95 The missions of occupation and oppression do not serve this purpose =96=
 and=20
we shall take no part in them.