American-ness [was RE: even my dumb nontechnical anime group gets it -- why don't we?]

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym@canada.com
28 Mar 2002 09:35:55 -0500

    M> out here in northern california, i don't feel much affinity for
    M> the culture of the boston/new york/washington power axis.

"The only cultural advantage to California is being able to turn
right on a red light" -- Woodie Allen

    M> Q: What's a Canadian?
    M> A: They're like an American but without the gun
    M> -- Kids in the Hall

See what I mean?  Now, /there's/ a troupe who have never strayed 40m
outside Toronto without being wrapped in a tour bus.  There's more
to Canada than the corner of Church and Wellesley.

If you want Canadian, look up Lorne Elliot, Buddy Whatsisname and the
Other Fella, Nancy White, or tune in the Dead Dog Cafe.  It's the
terror of a moose on the highway at night, the bear in the back seat
that you now find you only grazed, earning a "read authentic Indian
name" by spinning a crown-and-anchor wheel, or going fishing with your
boys and a box of dynamite and then reminiscing how you can't do that
anymore because the government screwed up the fish stocks.  For better
or worse, 2/3rds of Canada really is Stompin' Tom Connors.

Q: How do you get 6 drunk and rowdy Canadians out of a bar?
A: You ask them to leave.

(trad.)