American-ness [was RE: even my dumb nontechnical anime group gets it -- why don't we?]

Owen Byrne owen@permafrost.net
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:09:32 -0400

I think you're going a little too far with the rural nature of Canada.
Latest census shows that more and more Canadians live within spitting
distance of Church and Wellesley, and less and less out in the boonies.

And abandoning the sublime Kids in the Hall for "Buddy Whatsisname and the
Other Fellas" seems a little extreme. Like it or not, our best talent gets
Americanized, because thats where the big dollars are.

My experience as a Canadian is that any differences between us and the U.S.
pales compared to the differences across the country - there is more
north-south affinity than there is east-west. I'm not talking politics here,
just people, although I think the similar political bent follows from that.
Maritimers have more in common with New Englanders than they do with people
from Ontario. Manitobans are like Minnesotans, and people in British
Columbia are just wannabe-Californians. And our bastion of neo-conservatism,
Alberta, is just north of all the loonies in Wyoming and Montana.
Owen