Returned mail: User unknown

Kragen Sitaker kragen@pobox.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:38:06 -0500 (EST)

Luis Villa writes:
> Can someone with list privileged just go ahead and remove this person
> from the list? It's getting irritating...

They aren't on the list in the first place, so they're probably having
their mail forwarded from some other address that *is* on the list.
If they were, and this were a legitimate bounce message, it would go
to fork-admin, not fork.  I don't know what's going on, but it's
weird.

>From the message headers:

This is no ordinary bounce message.  I suspect that flushing out the
guy who's sending it would require that I send a piece of spam to
every member of FoRK, with different addresses in the headers, and see
which addresses receive bounces.  I'm not willing to do this.

I'll see if I can do something to keep it from getting through and
annoying people other than me.

This is exactly how the World Wide Web works: the HTML files are the pithy
description on the paper tape, and your Web browser is Ronald Reagan.
  -- Neal Stephenson, at http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning_print.html