American-ness [was RE: even my dumb nontechnical anime group gets it -- why don't we?]

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:13:12 -0800

Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

>     I> Canadians don't like to be called Americans (for the record)
>     I> not because we're boorish, but because we're struggling with
>     I> our own sense of identity like a confused teenager.
>
> Nonesense.  You've been consuming too much CanWest 'who are we?' bs.
>
> We don't like to be called Americans because ...

Because "American" is understood around the world to mean "resident of
America" and "America" is understood around the world to be the short
form name of the phrase "United States of America." There really is
nothing deep, complicated, political or sociological about the issue. If
the the Canada was known as the Royal Dominion of America and the US was
known as "the Western Democratic Commonwealth" then "American" would
mean Canadian and "Western" would mean American.

 Paul Prescod