Java Embraced by Telecom

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:37:31 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:

> Also on Monday, Motorola unveiled new Java cell phone software programs,
> including "Digital Cyclone," which sends weather conditions, a nine-hour or
> seven-day forecast, and notifications regarding severe weather to Motorola
> cell phones.

OK, riddle me this... if you're already OUTSIDE using your cell phone, how
hard is it to figure out that the weather is? Do you really need your phone
to tell you it's raining?

Everything I've been reading and hearing about the cellphone industry is
along the lines of ... "Cellphone users figure out $500 cellphone only good
for making phonecalls, SMS's as well as free ones, no need to upgrade". And
with talk time almost free, why SMS at all?
It's a commodity. <tron voice="MCP">End Of Line</tron>

This reminds me of the many, many storage startups that keep contacting me
about working for them. It's a drive on a network, customers are gonna pay
you 100k for 5k of hardware I can buy directly from the drive manufacturer
why exactly? To setup what any 14yr old Linux user can read the HOWTO and
do? Not likely.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com