Queen Mum dies :-(

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
30 Mar 2002 21:42:47 -0500

On Sat, 2002-03-30 at 21:31, Bill Humphries wrote:
> I said what I said because I expected what happened when Princess Diana
> died back in 1997: the signal to noise ratio of the world's media dropping
> to near zero. Checking the press today, my fears are not realized. Perhaps
> it's because there's a war on. Perhaps the press realized how foul it was
> to go All-Di, All-the-Time.

Well, the biggest difference (IMHO) from a press perspective is that
Diana was young, photogenic, and 'tragic'; tragedy is 'news' while the
death of a woman of 101 (who was beautiful in her day but hadn't been
photogenic since before the invention of color TV) is expected, and
hence not as 'newsworthy'. I'm sure Diana's death, had it happened right
now, would still have recieved a lot more press than the Queen Mother's.
Which, I agree, is a sad commentary on the state of the media.
Luis