RealNames ceases trading

Gordon Mohr gojomo@usa.net
Mon, 13 May 2002 17:17:04 -0700

I completely understand MSFT's self-interested decision here.

It wasn't a matter of controlling 100% of the search market,
but rather, whether they take an immense asset they have --
in-browser default resolve/search mechanisms -- and deploy it
towards building up another in-house asset (MSN search, now
and in the future) or an external company which could someday
be a threatening monopoly in its own right.

I think there were some good things about the RealNames
concept, but their need to get to a runaway dominant
position -- where people expected this capability for
all their quickie searches -- while avoiding resistance
from people who didn't want to grant them a monopoly
just proved too tricky.

I think blaming MSFT is also a bit of an excuse for them.
There are other distribution channels they could have
used -- syndication to search engines (a la Overture),
browser plug-ins, bundling deals with ISP/3rd-party
software (a la Gator etc).

If they hadn't grown so large in headcount, and thrown so
much money (and equity) to MSFT previously, perhaps they
could've pursued a broader, more patient and methodical
approach to ubiquity.

As it was, they bet the farm on the IE relationship, and
lost. The inside dirt on MSFT's thoughts and RN's proposals
is great stuff but doesn't suggest to me that MSFT did
anything wrong.

- Gordon