Metrification (was RE: FoRK-Fork: Talent (dozens & degrees))

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Tue, 14 May 2002 14:08:44 +0000

Dan Kohn:
>However, you are quite incorrect as to there being no metric version of
>degrees. The measurement of a plane angle is radians [6]

Now hold on there just a minute, podner! The radian
is just the length of unit arc subtended by an angle.
Your post is the first where I've seen it labeled a
peculiarly metric unit. Are you next going to tell me
that pi is metric?? I doubt not that the metricizers
may have incorporated radians as well as pi, but
you're going to have to do better than that to
convince me that the radian has anything to do with
a particular set of physical units -- e.g., Farenheit
vs. Centigrade -- or the preference for decimal
fractions over all others.

As useful as radians are when doing math, we also
need some angular unit for measure and navigation
that divides the circle into integral parts,
preferably divisible by 4. The two traditional
divisions are 32 compass points or 360 degrees. The
metricizers chose 400.

BTW, did you ever hear about the French carpenters
who started using 1.2 meters as the standard for
setting up their jobs?