[FoRK] Re: Re: IP: The software revolution has only just begun,Gates says(fwd)

Lindsey Smith lindsey@smithstanza.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 09:55:17 -0700

From: "Luis Villa" <louie@ximian.com>
> OK, so, giving a billion dollars to medical charity is not exactly what
> I'd call 'visionary'. Laudable, wonderful, etc., yes, but not visionary.
> People have been giving money to solve and treat disease since Jesus was
> curing lepers. He just happens to be able to do it on a huge scale. I
> think even Gates has said that giving money for this type of thing is
> 'obvious.'

Not that I'm any big fan of Bill Gates or anything, but I don't have a
problem with the term visionary here. It's not the big fat pile of cash that
makes it visionary. He's not firing and forgetting $1 billion at the
American Cancer Society for the Big Cure (or the UN a la Ted Turner) or at
the celebrity disease of the month. And it is obvious to me that a
multi-billionaire *should* give huge sums to charity. I just get the sense
that the GF is more of a
see-it-through-from-beginning-to-end-in-the-3rd-world kind of deal. Down to
earth, realistic, but high impact (and high ticket) solutions.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/globalhealth/reproductivechildhealth/announce
ments/announce-020509.htm

Time, of course, will tell. Would you've said the same about Andrew Carnegie
when he started his philanthropic activities?

> Luis [and don't get me started about the 'charity' of giving Windows
> away to Mexican schoolchildren]

Yeah that's BS.

> P.S. Just to be clear, by non-business I mainly meant software, though I
> suppose actual vision in his charity would also impress me.

I misunderstood, since Microsoft's business is (largely) software. I thought
!(business == software).

Lindsey Smith
lindsey@smithstanza.com
http://www.smithstanza.com/lindsey/