Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

Stephen D. Williams sdw@lig.net
Wed, 29 May 2002 17:54:49 -0400

It's too bad that they haven't worked more on this problem.

Obviously the flicker is from 60hz AC, but not so obvious is that they
could use a longer phosphor or even have half the bulb out of phase with
a bit of electronics.  The latter is the best solution, but probably
expensive unless you use two or three phase wiring for the same purpose.

60hz is far too slow of a refresh.  I can easily see flicker in many
60hz systems.

BTW, I worked in Building 44, NELA Park, Cleveland Ohio, for GE Lighting
where fluorescent bulbs were invented.  We were working on low wattage,
white light, arc lamps.  Sodium, mercury, and xenon in a shaped quartz
tube.  I programmed the VT100 touch screen (!) and most of the rest of
the embedded system on Z80 single-board computers.  In 1984.

sdw