The absurdities of life.

Elias Sinderson fork@xent.com
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 12:19:39 -0700

I call PacBell/SBC every two or three months about a recurring problem
we have at my house:

We get a phone bill every month for someone who no longer lives at our
house for a phone line which has been disconnected for over three years
and the account balance is (drum roll please) $0.00! Sometimes the
people I talk to cannot locate the account in their system and tell me
that the phone number doesn't exist. Some people are able to locate the
account but say that it has been disconnected and there is no way we
could get a bill sent to us for that account. Some people can locate the
account and verify that the line has been disconnected for three years
and that the amount owed is $0.00 and then they say somthing along the
lines of "Huh?" or "I'm not sure what's going on... Hold please." And
eventually I have similar conversations with their managers and the
account representatives and billing people and their managers and their
managers' managers ad naseum.

The outcome of every phone call is that they'll "look into it" and fix
the problem and I might receive one or two more bills depending on when
it's resolved. So I wait a month or two and send the bills back marked
"Not at this address, please fsck off." and then eventually call them
back and go through the whole process again. Lately I just explain to
the phone jockeys that I know it's not their fault and I'm not mad at
them and it's just not their day because I'm about to give them hell.
Then I give them the opportunity to have me yell at their boss which
they seem all too happy to do.

At least it gives me a positive way to vent my aggressions and it's a
lot cheaper than seeing a therapist.

Perplexed,
Elias