So like, a third of the rootservers went down and we didn't even notice.

Mr. FoRK fork_list@hotmail.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:23:26 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eugen Leitl" <eugen@leitl.org>
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Jeffrey Kay wrote:
>
> > Interesting concepts, but they unfortunately don't mesh with the real
> > purpose of DNS -- mapping human readable names to IP addresses (that may
>
> Actually, I gave you the scheme to throw out all IP address but localhost,
> and to define arbitrarily many namespaces to map into IP space, with
> authenticated prestige accounting. Plus, a scheme transparently coexisting
> with current status quo. Well, you just can't please some people...
I think JeffreyK identifies some good problems to solve, and EugenL has some
good solutions.
I'm a bit leery of the authority explosion (unlike TomW who would like to
explode all authority to free the sheeple...), I don't think people can
handle that ambiguity. But I do like the technical capabilities of that kind
of system - gimme the 'microsoft.com' according to ICANN, or gimme the
'microsoft.com' according to AOL, etc...

> Why do you trying to make apologies for the current scheme? It's broken,
> quite plainly.
I think it works, but has weaknesses. But it also has strengths.