So like, a third of the rootservers went down and we didn't even notice.

Mark Baker distobj@acm.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:29:12 -0400

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 11:07:27AM -0400, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> you can't expect all identifiers to go through a human-mediated gateway
> where the human searches for the identifier and picks the correct result.

I wasn't suggesting Google was required.  Even without it, my ratio
is probably about 500:1.

> 'memorable' means partly something about memory and partly something about
> being a thing that humans can work with.  We can't even transcribe a
> public key or sha1 identifier from a piece of paper, much less memorize
> it.

I can't remember the last time I had to remember a URI.  And while I
don't doubt that others do so, regularly even, I maintain that they
don't do it nearly as often as they treat URIs as *entirely* opaque.

That's not a solution, but I think it's a useful tidbit if you're
trying to devise a solution.

MB
--
Mark Baker, CTO, Idokorro Mobile.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.
http://www.markbaker.ca             http://www.idokorro.com