Colonial Script ...

John Hall johnhall@evergo.net
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 15:32:34 -0700

Oh, they were plenty upset about the tea taxes.

But the crack down on colonial script certainly screwed over the
American Colonies.  And, BTW, England as well.

Dear Ben Franklin was right for the wrong reasons.  First of all the
colonies were not prosperous compared to England proper.  Second, the
issuance of colonial script had nothing to do with full employeement.

(In fact, it is almost inconceivable he would make that claim.  It
sounds like a modern Keynsian was creating an urban legend.)

OTOH the lack of sufficient circulating monetary instruments was
economically crippling.  Imagine trying to buy your supplies by offering
IOUs on your own name -- and then trying to market / exchange the paper
as the merchant who took the IOU.

===========================

The most common problem in the world is when a government prints too
much money.  The effects are a complete disaster.  There are a lot of
incentives that push governments into doing this even though it is
incredibly stupid.

So almost all the literature talks about that.

But you can ALSO screw an economy over by taking all the money out of
circulation.  The fundamental cause of the American Great Depression was
exactly this, courtesy of the Federal Reserve Board.

I don't think shifting the power to print money to the bank of Canada
had much effect.  And Canada is still a prosperous country.

Gary