Majority Leader Tom Delay Supports the FairTax!

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Thu Apr 10 12:08:53 PDT 2003

Let me point out your inconsistency, inaccuracy, and general lack of
capacity to productively discuss this topic.

On Thursday, Apr 10, 2003, at 10:37 US/Central, Woodchuck wrote:

>> "Income tax is voluntary -- just stop earning income."
>
> I suggest your "sarcasm detection" ability to be either attenuated
> or volitional for the purpose of seeming to make a point.

INCONSISTENT.  If I have treated your statement as serious it is
because you yourself supported it by claims of your own behavior -wrt-
taxation.  I.e., you really do seem to regard this as a valid option.

> Not yet.  First you have to stop lying.

So...  I may be wildly delusional, pulling your leg, earnest but
incorrect in my conclusions, misinformed --- any number of things that
dilute the credibility of the statements I've offered.  But "lying"
implies intent to deceive --- and I have no such intent.  So:
INACCURATE.  NB, I assume you're still hung up on the use of the term
"voluntary," making that the basis for your claim of lying.  I've
already pointed out that in a strict sense, you are correct:  FairTax
is not, in the strictest sense, "voluntary."  Please substitute "MORE
VOLITIONAL THAN INCOME TAXES" for the previous term, and accept my
earnest apologies for using the word more loosely than you would like.

Finally, UNPRODUCTIVE:  you seem to have taken my original post, merely
passing along data about a proposal that I think has significant
merits, as a personal attack on your entire value system.  If you'd
take a moment to breathe, take your meds, or whatever --- you'd see
that you and I are more aligned than not on the ideological landscape.
I hate taxes.  You apparently hate taxes.  The major difference is
merely one of pragmatism and priors;  I simply regard this as a more
likely positive change than holding out for a tax-free America.

BTW, I love a good ad hominem fest as much (more!) than anybody, but
you seem to be struggling to make a point and your tactics are
interfering with this.  Please try to make one, if you have one.  If
your only issue was the word "voluntary" --- I think we've taken care
of that, haven't we?

$0.02,

jb