[CORK] There's [no?] hope for the kids. And music ..

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 16 21:03:20 PDT 2003

Adam L. Beberg:
>They know far less about far more, thanks to the net. While I grew up using
>the library as my long term memory, now we have google. All of their
>knowledge, what they can remember through all the pot that they ARE
>smoking, is very shallow. More information, less knowledge. Grammer is
>dead. Nuf said. speling 2. Monogomy R.I.P. Drugs R OK. Stealing is A-OK too
>as long as it's from someone with more money. Ethics have been replaced
>with will I get caught, or by consulting a HOWTO: Not getting caught. The
>idea that "everything will be better when we grow up" is definately gone.
>..

It's funny how complaints about teenagers repeat
from generation to generation. Beberg remembers ..
well, I remember too. Thirty years ago, teenagers
were turning on, tuning in, and dropping out, and
it drove the adults nuts. Conservatives derided
decline in education standards, Johnny couldn't
learn, teenagers couldn't read, write, or add, and
what they were learning was spoon-fed pablum rather
than the substantive curriculum of earlier years.
Despite that, new gurus wrote entire libraries
aimed at corrupting the morals of the young, on
why the system was wrong, on how to fight it, and
justifying anything done against it. Abbie Hoffman
wrote the how-to on getting away with it,
appropriately titled "Steal This Book." I still
have a copy.

Things won't be better for the next generation?
Look up some magazines from the 70s, with their
articles on population limits, the end of cheap
oil, a third world that refuses to modernize, and
how the boomers were destined not to have it as
good as the War generation.

Oh, yes, libraries. Scholars once complained that
the easy availability of classic texts in libraries
would keep the next generation from developing the
skills to memorize the material. Of course, that's
complaint dates back a couple of millenia back, not
just a generation. Plus ca change, plus c'est la
même chose.

Sorry, Beberg, but I don't buy it. I don't think
teenagers today are any worse than twenty years ago.
Or forty. I think people just forget the flaws of
their own youth, and compare what they became to
what today's teenagers are. The generation of free
love, acid, and the SDS is now grown up, married,
mortgaged, Republican, and worried about their 401Ks
and their teenagers.

Jeff, thanks for explaining why music was best when
I was in junior high and high school. I had always
thought it was a Pavlovian thing, that teenagers
just associated the music of their time with the
sere excitement of first lust. But if it's really
a matter of generational stress, then the late 60s
and early 70s win out. I believe and hope that
teenagers today lack a general stressor on the
order of Vietnam bingo. But it generated a lot of
good songs. ;-)