[SPORK, STORK] Google love / fear, privacy, "Surveillance Nation"

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Wed Apr 16 17:58:04 PDT 2003

How to survive in a 'Surveillance Nation'
Patrick Houston,
Editorial Director, AnchorDesk
Friday, March 28, 2003

Last week, I received an e-mail from a much-alarmed former colleague.
She forwarded to me a message thread from a similarly alarmed group of
her professional peers. "Pat, you need to write about this!!!!" she
implored.

The impetus behind her plea? A Google search result. Her
correspondents--a group of about 100 human resources
practitioners--were alerting each other to this: When you type a
telephone number into Google, it instantaneously returns the number's
owners, their home address, and--oh, by the way--a detailed Yahoo map
of where they live.

----

	http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2913143,00.html

jb