Prince Charles gets nervous, neo-Luddite meme gathering steam

Jeff Bone jbone at deepfile.com
Mon Apr 28 17:07:50 PDT 2003

On Monday, Apr 28, 2003, at 15:51 US/Central, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:

> All the major stories on that site magically showed up
> as FoRK threads and I know some of the FoRKers are also
> on one of those lists.

Can't speak for anybody else, but believe me when I say "not it!" :-)
(But now that you've pointed me there...)

>> Duh, tell me something else I already know.  (Why in the world did
>> you feel compelled to say that?  Did I give you any reason to think I
>> was confused about this?  Nano is piece of the puzzle, and possibly
>> not even an essential piece.)
>
> Someone posted a link to a story about one and argued about
> the other.   Bait and switch?

I think you're imagining conspiracy theories. ;-)  It's all fast and
loose --- and yet it's all related.  The folks that are likely to want
to ban all research into assemblers have large overlap *today* --- and
even moreso once the neo-Luddite ideology becomes more dogmatic ---
with those that want to ban cloning, genetic engineering of humans,
stem cell research, direct man-machine interfaces, uploading, strong AI
research, etc.  Short jump to those who are fearful of p2p, strong
encryption, etc. etc. etc.

$0.02,

jb