Are you willing to become part of a simulation?

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 29 00:53:40 PDT 2003

Jeff Bone:
>Let's take your argument one step further. Let's assume that you are in
>fact living in a paper simulation as suggested above.
>
>Do the pages have to be bound together, in order?
>
>Do they even have to be created in any particular order?
>
>Do they have to be observed (read) to reify or realize the simulated
>reality?
>
>I say the "difference" is not only imperceptible, but
>that thinking there is such a difference is entirely nonsensical unless you
>have access to some preferred, "external" reference frame. For all intents
>and purposes, any adequately detailed simulation is internally exactly
>equivalent to any other equally detailed simulation, or the postulated
>"real" environment / situation being simulated. ..

Very good. You're following the path. Now let me show
you the twist under the hedge.

Is it necessary for each state of the simulation to
be realized? What if there is a just a machine that
can generate any future instant in the virtual
universe from a start state (trajectory selector)
and a time:

  makeInstant(u, t)

Where u selects the universe, and t is the time in
it. Is it necessary for every instant to be
realized? For any instant to be realized? Of course
not. "That's entirely nonsensical." What about the
selector? Must it be realized? Well, no. What about
the machine? Must it be realized? Or can it also be
virtual?

Here is the Turing machine: now every virtual world
(virtually) exists. And we're done.

Or to put it another way, why must the pages in the
Simulacrum book exist on hard matter? Isn't it
enough that they exist in the abstract? Doesn't
the Fibonacci sequence exist, at least virtually,
even though no one has ever 'realized' more than a
portion of it:

1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, ..

So every logically possible world exists, because
it exists virtually, and there is no perceivable
difference between 'virtually' and 'in reality'
from the perspective of those in such world.

So maybe there is no really real. Maybe all there
is are the myriads of possible worlds. And we
wouldn't know otherwise. Right?

PS: Whatever this line of thought is, it is NOT
running to a corner. ;-)