[SPORK] Weird definition of "draining the swamp"

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 30 20:08:34 PDT 2003

Jeff Bone:
>We're talking about international relations,
>not internal ones.  If you count that, then you need to throw in our Civil
>War on our tally.  What then?

As bloody as our Civil War was, costing
more American casualties than any other, the
lives lost to the Soviet Union are more than
an order of magnitude greater. When the
confederacy surrendered, the fighting in the
US mostly stopped. Yeah, I know there
were gangs in Missouri and other skirmishes,
but that was all small potatoes. The US
government did NOT round up all southerners
whose thinking was unreconstructed, and ship
them off to the north slope to scratch and
die, shooting the ones too weak or obstinate
to go. That is what the Soviets did. Decade
after decade.

Let's put some numbers on this. The Civil
War killed a half million Americans. Estimates
of the number of people who were killed in the
Gulag or in political purges range between ten
and thirty million. The amazing thing about
that number is that these were not people
killed in war, but by their own government.

In WW II, Russia also suffered the greatest
military casualties of any of the combatants,
with losses estimated at ten million. That's
more casualties in one war than the US has
lost in all its wars to date. Just to be
clear, this is ANOTHER ten million. Those
who died fighting for the Soviet Union were
different from those citizens who died for
the internal enforcement of its regime.

The Soviet Union also killed large numbers
of people in other nations, but I suspect
not nearly as many as it killed in its own.
Combined, it's hard to fathom the number of
people who met violent deaths either at the
hands of the Soviet Union or fighting for it.
I don't that any nation, past or present,
rivals the Soviet Union for the sheer
magnitude of its carnage.