bits on Will Wright, designer of Sim*

Rohit Khare rohit@ics.uci.edu
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 04:25:39 -0800

I loved some of the coverage at gamespot:
http://www.gamespot.com/features/btg_y2k/p21_01.html (a 1999 interview,
about all the great books he's been inspired by) ;
http://www.gamespot.com/features/maxis/ (corporate history -- company
undone by going public) ; and
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/features/pc/simsonline/1.html (a great
pre-launch peek at the Sims Online).

It took a lot more digging to find that Maxis wasn't derived by
reversing "six am" -- amazingly, there's only one hit on the matter in
all of google! (will name maxis "six am" backwards -cheat)

http://www.strategyplanet.com/thesims/other/will2.shtml:
> [Will] says, Maxis was started by Jeff Braun and myself and a few
> others that didn't stay with the company very long. Jeff's father came
> up with the name. Jeff had a number of rules that the name had to
> pass.... It had to be less than 7 letters, contain a x,z or q and mean
> nothing. It also spells six AM backwards which we thought was cool.

Unfortunately, I'm waay too lazy to cut-n-past from the 40-50 html
pages all that content is broken up into, and will only lament that I
haven't a better FoRKexpress :-)

RK