NYTimes.com Article: Pact Lifts an Obstacle to HDTV Transition

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 13:52:16 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 khare@alumni.caltech.edu wrote:

> Hmm.. any links to technical details? This is indeed a MAJOR issue,
> but I don't think this is really going to help until we resolve
> "must-carry" -- sure, an ATSC channel is the same 6 MHz wide as an

I just don't see HDTV landing.  Fixed standards and broadcast model are so
dead; they just know it yet. CPU is so cheap now and codecs are
sufficiently advanced that you can have a flexible multimedia format which
is cast across the network, whether aether, fiber or wire. I think you can
cobble together a very effective software-only solution to netcast
multimedia using quantitative penetration of user base. Instead, they seem
to discourage using P2P services, the fools. A custom version of a P2P
suite like Overnet which limits network traffic to the local loop and
tries to keep network within traffic will actually save them money and
offer a distribution architecture for content virtually for free, as the
hardware is already paid for and installed.