Wifi Highway - could this work?

Reza B'Far (eBuilt) rbfar@ebuilt.com
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 08:55:21 -0800

I agree with Greg and one more thing:

If you look at protocols such as CDMA and W-CDMA, there is particular
attention paid to the fact that people are moving.

Let's assume there are two cars on the road, distance x apart where x >
max_wifi_reach.  Now, they can form a network once x < max_wifi_reach.  If
they are moving in opposite directions at say 20 miles an hour, you only
have a window of a few seconds to form a network and then leave that network
to join another network.

I'm not sure how possible it is to form a network and get a few meaningful
transactions through during the small time-window that may be available for
short-range type networks.  There has to be a hell of a lot of computing
going on for ad-hoc networking when you're going in and out of so many
networks.  I also wonder if the security problem will compound this
(performance, etc.)... Finally, I think this would cause some real problems
in implementing application layer protocols such as Http, etc.

I'd be interested to hear if folk think that these problems can be
circumvented reasonably.

Reza B'Far

PS:  It's nice to see more technical discussions... beats the hell of the
long political threads ;-)  (no flame mail for this please).