Mississipi Leads the way

CDale cdale@techmonkeys.net
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 14:08:14 -0600 (CST)

Actually, they do have some money for software, and etc, but different
schools have different budgets, and the budgets are handled differently.
Also, what goes on in each school depends on how much the staff and
students know about the technology.  A good example of this is that a
school in Gulfport had no networking at all, but had plenty of computers.
The tech teachers were waiting for there to be enough money in the budget
to buy Novell.  I sent a few hundred Red Hat CDs, after talking to the
teacher via my kid, and they were networked in no time.  A school in Ocean
Springs was doing the same thing, and they had a student who was very
proficient w/ Linux, but they had also spent a shitload of money on
sending this woman to school to learn Novell, so they sat on the idea
until they could afford Novell for that reason, leaving the Linux tech guy
twiddling his thumbs and trying to learn Novell in the meantime.  I don't
know what brings you to the conclusion you came to.
Cindy

--
Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly             walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell.                -- Edna St. Vincent Millay, Letters, 1952