Happy Birthday

Sat, 04 Jan 2003 19:11:45 -0800

Drudge report links to AP Newswire article
on 20th anniversary of the [modern day] Internet.
Some speculate that it's actually 33.  Obviously,
whatever you're doing when you're 30, is what
you'll be doing for the rest of your life.  By this
FoRK theorum, we can speculate more of the same:
porno spam, Nigerian bank account offers, and
popup ads.   We've come a long way,

Greg

                   Technology - AP

                   Some Honoring Internet's 'Birthday'
                   Fri Jan 3, 8:37 AM ET

                                         Add Technology - AP to My Yahoo!

                   By ANICK JESDANUN, AP Internet Writer

                   NEW YORK - Happy birthday?, Internet. By some accounts, Wednesday marked the 20th
                   anniversary of the online medium.

It was on Jan. 1, 1983, that the 400 or so computers hooked to
what was then called ARPANET had to switch to a
communications protocol called TCP/IP, said Vint Cerf, the
protocol's co-inventor.

It was TCP/IP that allowed multiple networks to coexist and
permitted applications like the World Wide Web to develop and
thrive. In other words, it made the Internet what it is today.

"This is a major milestone," Cerf said. "I consider the January
1983 date to be the real rollout of (the) Internet."

Some, however, consider the Internet's age to be a more mature
33.

On Sept. 2, 1969, two computers at the University of California, Los Angeles, linked by a
15-foot cable, sent data back and forth, showing that the Internet could work.

Sure, the protocol didn't permit non-ARPANET computers to join in, the way America
Online and private corporate networks can today. But it affirmed packet switching, the idea
that data could be chopped into small packets and reassembled at the destination, giving the
Internet its versatility.