Lore Sjoberg on New Years traditions

Karl Anderson kra@monkey.org
05 Jan 2003 16:07:11 -0800

Eirikur Hallgrimsson <eh@mad.scientist.com> writes:

> http://www.brunching.com/newyearstraditions.html
>
> Noisemakers
>
> It would have been interesting to live back in historical times where
> people apparently felt that evil spirits were ubiquitous, yet
> excruciatingly timid. If using a fifty-cent cardboard horn to make a duck
> noise scares off evil spirits for an entire year, I figure putting up a
> small sign saying "EVIL SPIRITS WILL BE TOWED AT OWNER'S EXPENSE" should
> keep them out of my hair for a decade or so. C+

Not so much timid as obsessive-compulsive and as superstitious as we
are.  They're confused by twisting paths, mirrors, television sets,
and shoes on the wrong feet, and annoyed by fluorocarbons, and one way
to keep them out of your house is to leave a bowl of salt on the step
- they'll want to count the grains before coming in.

--
Karl Anderson      kra@monkey.org           http://monkey.org/~kra/